Preparing for bushfire season
Bushfire season extends from October to April every year. Being prepared for an emergency will help you make smarter and safer decisions and improve your capacity to protect yourself, your family and your assets.
Having a ‘Fire Chat’ is a great first step to protect your family and assets from a fire.
Emergency situations are scary and often stressful. By having this plan in place, you will know exactly what to do if you are asked to evacuate.
Extra precautions and preparations include:
- Have rubbish, excessive leaves, shrubs removed
- Have grass cut and branches trimmed, and gutters cleared
- Ensure flammable items are stored away from your home, e.g.: petrol and wood
- Keep garden hoses in good working order and ensure they reach all areas of your home
- Check your home insurance policy is current and that it provides bushfire cover
- Store critical documents in an easily accessible area and in waterproof containers, e.g.: insurance and legal documents
- Make plans to ensure the safety of your pets
For more information on how to prepare
CALL: DFES Community Preparedness on 93959816
If you are in a life-threatening emergency call 000
Bushfire Preparedness Meetings
Date: 29 October
Location: Bethanie Elanora ILU Village – 37 Hastie St, Bunbury, 6230
Date: 30 October
Location: Bethanie Waters ILU Village – 18 Olivenza Cres, Port Kennedy, WA, 6172